Matters Familiar is E.G’s first collection of short stories, offering 12 tales from inside complex contemporary relationships featuring parents; kids; convicts; hustlers; lawyers; politicians; and other undesirables:
- Ashley Alert: A small girl, suffocating in the growing culture of fear around her, struggles to take the high ground.
- Boys Will Be Men: A recently-divorced father sharing custody of his young son learns about parenting in an unlikely place–Death Row.
- Chosen: Adrift in his own life and desperate for a belief system, a young man finds direction and purpose from a surprising source.
- Gemini: Two brothers try to make sense of their lives after their domineering mother’s death.
- Intentional Walk: A girls’ softball team rebels and instructs parents and coaches in the value of competition.
- The Jewel of Genoa: A retired cowgirl and her best friend resort to drugs, kidnapping, and interstate flight to escape the nursing home and reclaim their lives.
- Medalists: A vignette, after infidelity was declared an Olympic sport.
- Meridian: An amnesiac accident victim recovers more than his health among strangers in a small Southern town.
- Pallbearer: Two boys, one mother; two lives, separated from birth.
- Pipe Dream: A top-dollar attorney complains about the bill and unwittingly becomes his plumber’s Zen pupil.
- Robbin’ Hood: Worried about his sickly nephew’s future, a dutiful mob soldier finds inspiration an ocean and an age away.
- Term Limit: A scandal-plagued politician contemplates suicide, but checks in with his cousin first to sort things out.